Food Security refers to the availability to food and one's access to it.
Organic Foods are produced according to certain production standards. If you live in the GTA and are looking for great locations to purchase Organic Foods, check out our online directory for a bunch of great stores within Halton!
Also, check out local Famers' Markets! www.farmersmarketsontario.com/Markets.cfm
Here is another set of great websites to get some more information on organic foods:
– Organic Agricultural Centre of Canada: www.organicagcentre.ca
Food Miles is a term which refers to the amount of miles food travels before it gets to your dinner table. Critics of food miles point out that transport is only one component of the total environmental impact of food production and consumption. Explore the websites below to find some great discussions and information on food miles:
– Fighting Global Warming at the Farmers' Market: http://www.foodshare.net/resource/files/foodmilesreport.pdf
– Life Cycles Project Society: http://www.lifecyclesproject.ca/initiatives/food_miles
100 mile diet: When the average North American sits down to eat, each ingredient has typically travelled at least 1,500 miles. The 100 mile diet is a challenge to North American's to eat food with ingredients that come from within 100 miles from their homes. Use these websites to help you take the 100 Mile Challenge!
– The 100 Mile Challenge: http://100mile.foodtv.ca
– Food Routes (Where does my food come from?): www.foodroutes.org/faq10.jsp
- 29 April 2013 : Halton Farmers’ Markets starting to open (1 Comment)
The first of Halton's farmer's markets open at the beginning of May. Support your local farmers and get fresh seasonal local produce at: Now open: Burlington Mall Farmers' Market Prospect St. east of [More...]
- 9 April 2013 : Congratulations to these OTF grant recipients (No Comments)
Greenbelt Fund $199,100 over two years to support Ontariofresh.ca, an online networking and marketing website that connects bulk buyers and sellers of Ontario food. A ‘one-stop-shop’ for local and sustainable Ontario [More...]
- 5 April 2013 : Enviro Tip – Reduce Food Waste (No Comments)
40 percent of Canadian food is tossed from homes, shops or restaurants. Here are seven ways you can help the environment by reusing what was once considered waste. Use leftovers to [More...]
- 27 March 2013 : Enviro Tip – Naturally Dye Easter Eggs (No Comments)
Get rid of the artificial dyes and instead colour your Easter eggs with natural dyes that you can make at home from fruits and vegetables! [Mother Nature Network]
- 26 March 2013 : Volunteers Needed for Oakville Family Ribfest (No Comments)
To organize a great event, you need great volunteers and lots of them! If you are community-minded and like to give back or a student looking to earn volunteer credits, we [More...]