Environmental education normally implies the education of students in the classroom. Ecotourism is a way of continuing environmental education outside the classroom and into adulthood.
Environmental education: The Ontario Ministry of Education Working Group on Environmental Education (2007) has suggested the following definition be used in all Ontario schools:
"Environmental education is education about the environment, for the environment, and in the environment that promotes an understanding of, rich and active experience in, and an appreciation for the dynamic interactions of:
- the Earth’s physical and biological systems;
- the dependency of our social and economic systems on these natural systems;
- the scientific and human dimensions of environmental issues;
- the positive and negative consequences, both intended and unintended, of the interactions between human created and natural systems."
Ecotourism, also known as ecological tourism, is a form of tourism which appeals to the ecologically and socially conscious. This poster created by ecotourism.org defines the top principles of ecotourism.
For some great education resources on ecotourism please explore the following websites:
– Benefits of Eco-Tourism: www.benefitsofecotourism.com
– National Geographic, click on this link to discover the best eco-tourist destinations in the world! www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/travel/eco-travel/
- 24 April 2013 : Environmental Group of the Week – South Peel Naturalists’ Club (No Comments)
South Peel Naturalists’ Club, SPNC, encourages the enjoyment and study of nature and the environment, promotes the preservation and conservation of flora and fauna, land and water and fosters awareness [More...]
- 17 April 2013 : Upcoming Earth Day Events (No Comments)
Earth Day is April 22nd every year, all around the world. Earth Day started in 1970 and has grown so much that celebrations take place throughout the whole month of [More...]
- 17 April 2013 : Recycling & Composting in Halton – HEN Event (No Comments)
Please join Halton Environmental Network and Greening Sacred Spaces this Earth Day to learn about Recycling and Composting in Halton Region. A workshop will be presented by Halton Region's John Watson to [More...]
- 17 April 2013 : Environmental Group of the Week – BurlingtonGreen (No Comments)
BurlingtonGreen was formed in 2007 with encouragement from Oakvillegreen. HEN took the lead on a collaborative grant from the Ontario Trillium Foundation in 2009 and 2010 to help establish BurlingtonGreen, [More...]
- 16 April 2013 : Oakville’s 22nd Annual Earth Week Clean up (No Comments)
MEDIA RELEASE ANNUAL EARTH WEEK CLEAN UP ON SATURDAY, APRIL 20, 2013 KEEPS ON GROWING Oakville’s 22nd annual Earth Week Clean Up of nature sites will take place on Saturday, April 20 [More...]